Tuesday, August 30, 2011

To Sum Up

I expected that once my internship was over I would fall out of one routine into another. What I didn't realize is that I was going from one routine to no routine. The past three weeks have been full of everything I promised; food, packing, music, photos - but I have omitted to document it all. Rather than giving up all together I decided to write a post to bring things up to speed. 

Seeing as it is a Tuesday, I will stay true to my Tuesday Tracks. Over the past few weeks I came across an artist who I fell in love with. This music epitomizes a unique sound. It strays far from the style that is embraced by radio stations today. It's instrumental, but modern nonetheless. Not something you would hear at a party, but perfect for this time of year as you're holding on to the last days of summer.




In other news - I've discovered a food that could serve as a delicious side to an entrée as well as a scrumptious afternoon snack; sweet potato fries. I tried sweet potato fries for the first time when I worked at the Alchemist & Barrister in the heart of Princeton, New Jersey. This place is known for it's burgers & fries. I wasn't expecting to match those fries, but I figured it never hurt to try...


The fries were a part of a larger dinner that my boyfriend and I prepared for my family. Right above you can check out the before picture. 

To prepare the sweet potato fries, all you need is:

Yams
Olive Oil (lots of it)
Sea Salt



Cut up the yams into the shape you desire. These don't look like your typical french fries, but I found that this shape works best to get them cooked thoroughly. Once they are cut up you can go ahead and heat up the frying pan. After a couple of minutes pour the olive oil into the pan liberally. About quarter of an inch should be sitting in the pan. Gently bring the yams onto the pan so that the entire pan is covered*. Fry until golden brown. Flip around to make sure each side gets about equal attention.

*If you're preparing for several people make sure that you divide the yams in separate batches when frying. Placing it on all at once will leave some pieces burnt and others raw! While you prepare your last batches you can place the first few in the oven for a final crisp.




Once the yams are fried sprinkle them with as much sea salt as you please and voilà!

When we prepared these for the second time we decided to switch it up with a dipping sauce. From the first try we seemed to have hit the jackpot. Try mixing all of these ingredients together as a great accompaniment to the fries:





  • 1/2 cup sour cream 










  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise 










  • tablespoon horseradish 










  • tablespoon honey










  •  teaspoon paprika









  • Food and music being a big part of my last days of summer only goes to show how truly relaxing my time has been. Other activities included: Ocean City, multiple trips to relax at my home away from home at TCNJ, catching the newest movies in theaters, Millionaire Matchmaker marathons, extensive games of Trism on my new iPad2 (which will be acting as my wingman on my upcoming trip with apps including unit converters/maps/etc.). I have had some great times with my incredible family and friends - one of the highlights being a surprise going away get together even in the midst of Hurricane Irene. 

    For these past few weeks of sheer relaxation my room has been a whirlwind of clothes, beauty products, documents, and all the things you can possibly imagine a girl might need for a 4 month stay in Paris

    Now has come the time that I must take my life and neatly arrange it into two suitcases and a carry-on. Only 3 more days.

    Wish me luck.


    P.S. You may have noticed a layout change. Due to the influx of pictures that is expected in the near future, this blog may become more picture-based and therefore acquired more space for your viewing pleasure! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Go right ahead and share your thoughts in the little box below. I appreciate all feedback that you send my way!