Friday, September 16, 2011

Getting Acquainted

It's been about 2 weeks since I arrived in Paris. A lot has happened since the day I went to see the Eiffel Tower.


Today is Friday. I am pleased to announce that this day marks the end of my first full week of classes. Looking back on the past week is incredibly surreal. Sometimes when I'm in my room just browsing through Facebook or catching up on my e-mails I feel as though I'm in New Jersey, but when I turn to look outside my window I am instantly reminded that I am situated in the most beautiful city in the world.



Before classes started on Monday we went to visit the Loire Valley. We took tours throughout three chateaus - gorgeous mansions that kings of France built for two reasons: 

1. To go there on vacation. 
2. Because they could.

I have always heard of people making references to "living like a king", but it wasn't until this past weekend that I really learned the meaning behind that. The King had a room dedicated solely for the common folk to come and pledge their loyalty. It was an honor to hand the King his shirt in the morning. Every night anywhere from 5 to 15 people set up beds in the kings bedroom to protect him while he slept in the most grandiose bed that you can imagine. People would set up chairs in the dining room to watch the King and Queen eat. The King had anywhere from 1 to hundreds of mistresses and nobody complained... not even the Queen. 


















Once classes began it became easier to fall into a routine. A big part of any routine, particularly mine, is food. One of my favorite things about Paris is the fresh food and wine. I have been greatly enjoying everything including:

Markets


Crepes with Nutella



Wine & Cheese Tastings






Gelato


Uniquely Prepared Dishes 



Cookie Tastings









And most importantly, the cooking of my wonderful host mom. 
I am truly lucky because dinner is always a treat.








Plans for this weekend include the Paris Pub Crawl tonight followed by the Scène Electro & Danse - Techno Parade. Never a dull moment.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Go right ahead and share your thoughts in the little box below. I appreciate all feedback that you send my way!